Method to migrate wordpress from one hosting provider to another:
- Go to old hosting provider's control panel to backup your wordpress database to a sql statement;
- Log into old hosting provider's ftp server to backup all you website files to your local computor;
- Add on your domain name in your new hosting provider and create the main directory for this domain name;
- Upload all your website files from your local computer to the main directory;
- Create a new MySQL database in your new hosting provider and import your backuped SQL statement to the new database;
- Edit the wp_configure.php file in your new hosting provider, to change the database name, database user and password;
- Log into your wordpress homepage to have a look.
If you met a blank page during your first logon, you can debug it through viewing the source code of your blank page. Generally, it is brought by your plugins. So we strongly recommend you to inactive your all plugins before doing above steps. If you have done, just change the name of /wp_content/plugin/ folder, then WordPress will automatically inactive all of the plugins. Then you can see your homepage and admin pages, where you can active the plugins again.
Some wordpress plug-in needs API key to active, e.g. Akismet and WordPress.com Stats. To apply a new API key, you can:
1. Go to http://en.wordpress.com/api-keys/
2. Click “Free Keys” to get Akismet API key.
3. Click “Sign Up for a WordPress.com account” link to get other plug-ins API key. After signing up the account, an API key will be sent to your inbox.
WordPress is a great and strongly powerful blogging platform on the base on mySQL and php. The contributor created a lot of themes and plug-ins, so you can select a theme for your blog website against your style and your blog content and you can also add a lot of plugins to enhance your blog.
Now WP 3.0 has been released. You can downloaded from http://wordpress.org. The new release has below new features:
- WordPress and WordPress MU have merged, allowing the management of multiple sites (called Multisite) from one WordPress installation.
- New default theme “Twenty Ten” takes full advantage of the current features of WordPress.
- New custom menu management feature, allows creation of custom menus combining posts, pages, categories, tags, and links for use in theme menus or widgets.
- Custom header and background APIs.
- Contextual help text accessed under the Help tab of every screen in the WordPress administration.
- Bulk updating of themes with an automatic maintenance mode during the process.
- Support for shortlinks.
- Improved Custom post types and custom taxonomies including hierarchical (category-style) support.
- A lighter admin color scheme to increase accessibility and put the focus more squarely on your content.
To change the language of wordpress to Chinese, open the wp-config.php from ftp and change below line to
define (‘WPLANG’, ‘zh_CN’);