From Oracle official concept, revenue recognition is renue recognition. It belongs to AR. Multi Period Accounting is the concept of SLA. But in fact, they are the similar thing. One of initial purpose of MPA is for revenue recognition, but it is not flexible enough for revenue recognition. So revenue recognition is still handled in Receivables itself.
Let’s have a look at revenue recognition first then compare it with multi period accounting feature in SLA.
1. Create AR transaction and assign Invoice Rule in AR transaction header. There are two options for Invoice Rule:
- In Advance: Receiving money at first before revenue recogonition
- In Arrears: Receiving money at last after revenue recogonition
2. Assign accounting rules in AR transaction line. Accounting Rule means the revenue recogonition schedule. The revenue recognition program/API calcualte the recogonition schedule against accounting rule. Only if invoice rule is assigned in header, accounting rule can be
3. Once AR transaction is assigned with invoice rule and accounting rule, the original revenue account distribution will be changed to defered revenue account. It can be set up in AutoAccounting functionality. And receivable account distribution will be changed agasint invoice rule. If “In Arrears” is selected, the recevable account will be defaulted against the autoaccouting setup for Unbilled Receivable.
4. Complete the AR invoice.
5. Create Accounting with Final option.
6. Revenue Recognition: You have two options to recogonize revenue.
- by concurrent program “Revenue Recognition Master Program”
- by Revenue Accounting form. In the form, you can manage revenue and sales credits more flexible than concurrent program. You can schedule or unschedule the revenue recogonition and you can also partailly recogonize the revenue.
7. Whatever you select to recogonize the revenue by concurrent program or form, the functionality will create series of AR transaction distributions with multiple period. And for each period, it create accounting event with type of “Invocie Update”. So by revenue recogonition, multiple events will be created. It’s one of the difference between MPA and Revenue Recogonition.
Please note that, for normal transaction entry, you can’t key in unopened GL date. But for program inserting, it can.
8. Create Accounting againt for the new created events and distribution lines. The SLA journal entries are created for all of the periods even though the period is not opened.
- For the opened GL period and future entry statsu GL period, the journal entry status is “Final”and can be transfered to GL.
- For un-opened GL period, the journal entry status is “Invalid”and event status is unprocessed.
- It is very strange that it depends on GL period but not Receivable period.
9. When you open the next period and run create accounting again, the journal entry status will changed from Invalid to Final and transferred to GL module.
By summery, in revenue recogonition solution, Oracle insert the transaction ditribution line with multiple periods, create events for each period and create journal entries for each period. For unopened period, Oracle make its journal entries as “Invalid” until the period opened.